Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day 10 - Meter Maids - In Camera Metering

As part of being more intentional with this blog, with my life, with my passions, I want to work towards this:




Source
I will be chronicling my journey on my blog and I'm looking forward to the end result!
***
EUREKA!! THIS MAKES SENSE! Now that I'm figuring out how they fit together, things like F-stops are making sense!  VERY COOL.

Some highlights from Day 10 - Meter Maids - In Camera Metering...

Over-exposed? Have no fear! You can reduce the amount of light getting in easily by:
1) increasing the shutter speed (make it snap those photos faster!)
2) decrease the aperture (larger number = smaller aperture = wide depth of field ... basically MORE light comes in) 
3) decrease the ISO (in this case, decreasing is a good thing. Smaller ISO = less noise)

Under-exposed? This is my usual problem.... I can INCREASE the amount of light getting in by:
1) decreasing the shutter speed (though this can be tough if I'm not using a tripod.. I need to make sure I can hold that sucker steady if I'm getting into the super slow speeds...)
2) increase the aperture (smaller number = wider aperture = shallow depth of field ... basically less light comes in)
3) increase the ISO (BUT, this creates more noise, so this should be a last resort)


And oh yes, some important notes:

If your meter shows the image is underexposed and you are shooting a toddler – reducing the shutter speed would not be a good solution. If your meter shows the image is underexposed and you are shooting food on a tripod – reducing the shutter speed is a great solution.

If your meter shows the image is overexposed and you’re shooting a subject with a distracting background, decreasing the aperture will only emphasize the chaotic background when you bring more of it in focus.

ISO should be the last thing you increase, since increasing it creates destructive noise to your image.

No comments: