Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day 11 - Tips for Shooting Manually

As part of being more intentional with this blog, with my life, with my passions, I want to work towards this:




Source
I will be chronicling my journey on my blog and I'm looking forward to the end result!
***
AHH - I'm heading out to shoot using MANUAL... I have NEVER before used this setting on my camera. LOTS to learn here folks!

THANK YOU DARCY for your Day 11 - Tips for Shooting Manually ... 

  • Turn off your flash.
  • Set the ISO as low as possible, initially. Make that the last thing you adjust.
  • Shooting slowly often requires a tripod.
  • Kids and pets generally cannot freeze motion below 1/125sec (1/250+ is better), if you’re a Manual Mode Virgin – a bowl of fruit or vase of flowers might make your job a little easier.
  • If you have subjects on many planes that you want in focus, you need a smaller aperture. Start by keeping your aperture smaller than the number of subjects in the photo that are in different planes. I prefer to start with # of subject x 1.5 and go larger if I can pose them well. So if I have 4 people, 4 x 1.5 = 6. I like shoot at f/6.3 or greater as a starting point.
  • Learn the “Sunny 16 Rule”: On a sunny day, shoot at f/16 with a shutter speed of 1/ISO#. So ISO 100 at 1/100s or ISO 200 at 1/200s. For overcast days, the rule is “Cloudy 8″. Start at f/8 with a shutter speed of 1/ISO# as a guesstimate.
  • Focus on your subject when you’re metering. If you focus on the sky or shadows, your camera will meter the light for those areas rather than the subject(s).
  • Keep the in-camera meter on zero for the proper exposure.



No comments: